Wednesday, February 25, 2015


I have as of late been reminded of childhood memories. It could be that I have reached middle aged-ness, It could be that I am not sure where my future is heading.. In ones youth, that really isn't a concern, but as one gets older, the thoughts in ones mind turn to stability, a time when ones health and abilities may not be in the shape that one would hope that they should be in.
In my youth, I grew up in California. In the San Fernando Valley. It was a safe place to grow up and live in. I received a great education, had good friends and had a supportive family. I still have great friends and a supportive family.
I did most of the things that a boy would do growing up in such a place. Went to the movies and malls on the weekends. Rode my bicycle in packs with friends to late in the night(on weekends and non-school nights of course!), walked to McDonalds' on Saturday afternoons. The usual stuff. I was fortunate to have a great set of parents who made sure that we had clean clothes, food and all the extras that one should grow up with. We took family vacations a few times a year, I went to Disneyland quite a bit, as well as the other theme parks in Southern California, like Universal Studios, Knott's Berry Farm, etc.
On the weekends, we would occasionally take our boat or camper out and enjoy the outdoors, Yosemite, The Grand Canyon, The Sequoias and camping on the beach were some activities we enjoyed as a family. I made great memories that I still enjoy today. I am glad that I have those memories to fall back on when things get jumbled and too intense in my now deteriorating mind. I don't think I have thanked my mom enough for all the great times. I wish I'd have told my father how much I appreciated everything he did for us when he was alive. Regrets. Regrets; something that I guess we all carry with us. I don't think that anyone has the foresight to know when the right time to tell ones loved ones all the things that they have bottled up in their heads.
In some situations, you do. Like when you're watching your father slowly pass away in a Terminal Ward in some hospital, dying of cancer when you weren't even aware that he had the disease. The things that your parents hide from you to protect you; no matter what your age may be.
I find that it is during these times, your positive memories are most helpful. My dad, used to take me fishing, boating, camping, amongst other things. There are times that I miss him terribly. I often wonder what he'd think of my life choices. I don't think he'd like them.
I was able to see J.K. Simmons OSCAR acceptance speech; he made a great comment: "If your parents are alive, don't text them; call them. Call them everyday!" He is right. I am fortunate to see my mom everyday, for I still have her. I am so blessed to still have her in my life. There are times, to my failure, I sometimes am irked with her way of thinking.. but that is not her fault. It's mine; mine for not being more understanding. I frequently ask the Lord to help me; to give me patience and understanding. He usually does...
Hug your parents and loved ones everyday. If you can, kiss them good night and tell them how much you love them... everyday and everynight! If you are fortunate to still have loved ones in your life; you are indeed blessed; Thank the Lord and be appreciative. Everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment